Terms and Conditions
Table of Contents
All CensusTools spreadsheets were created with MS Excel and saved in Excel 97 format. A version of MS Excel for PC or MAC at least as recent as 97 is required to use the spreadsheets. PDF versions of all worksheets are included for anyone without access to MS Excel or to those who just want high quality extraction sheets. MS Excel 97 or later (or a compatible spreadsheet program) is required, but not included, to use the spreadsheets. A compatible program such as LibreOffice or Open Office might be an alternative, but no guarantees are made that the spreadsheets will function properly in those programs.
The CensusTools spreadsheets that you download may be freely copied for your own personal use (for example, to create a new spreadsheet for each surname), but please direct others to CensusTools.com to download their own copies.
For Your Story, our reprint policy gives you permission to print one copy for each copy purchased of the original Your Story file to create a book that can be filled in by hand. Once filled in by an individual, unlimited copies of the completed document can be printed to share with friends and family.
For CensusTools, our reprint policy gives you permission to print unlimited individual copies of CensusTools worksheet pages for personal use with the purchase of a licensed copy of the spreadsheet pack. Permission is also granted to print up as many copies as desired of completed individual pages to share research with family and friends.
In no case shall the content of either Your Story or CensusTools in its original unedited format be shared either in print or digital format unless an additional license has been purchased for each shared copy.
Users are encouraged to customize CensusTools spreadsheets as desired to suit their specific needs.
Users may freely publish populated worksheets in their published genealogies in book form if CensusTools.com is credited as the source of the spreadsheets. PDF or other non-editable versions of populated worksheets may be included in genealogies published in electronic form if a link is provided to censustools.com.
Professional genealogists are encouraged to use PDF printouts of populated CensusTools spreadsheets in their reports to clients. We give permission for you to provide print or pdf copies of the completed spreadsheets to your clients. We ask that you refrain from providing the spreadsheet files themselves unless you purchase a set of the spreadsheets for each client in addition to your own. We offer 30% off when two or more sets are purchased, so buying in bulk is a good way to provide your clients with the spreadsheet files.
Every precaution is taken to ensure all spreadsheet files are free of malicious code. Individual users however are responsible for their own systems and should never load a file onto their system without running their own virus checks.
Have questions? We have answers.
Organization Name: M.A. Kelley and Company, Inc.
Address: P.O. Box 5292, Fredericksburg, VA, USA, 22403
Data Protection Officer: Mary Ann Kelley
Websites: https://www.censustools.com, https://homeschoolnewsletters.com
Data We Collect & How It Is Used
Your privacy is important to us, and you may browse our website without giving us any personal information, although it may affect your ability to access some services (such as downloading files, purchasing products, or sending us messages). When we do collect personal information, we only ask for what is needed for the intended purpose.
When we need to allow access to personal information that we collect, we only allow access when it is needed to operate our business, comply with the law, provide service to you, or protect our rights. More detailed information about the different types of information we collect and how it is used can be found below:
- Purchases. When you purchase a product on CensusTools, we direct you to PayPal to complete the purchase. not collect or have access to your financial account information, which is collected and processed by PayPal. We send product data to PayPal regarding the purchase transaction. Once at the PayPal, the customer enters their personal data to login and pay, or to pay with a credit card for the transaction. PayPal sends to us the details of the purchase (customer name, unique transaction identifier, item(s) purchased, and quantity purchased), confirmation of the payment, the payment amount, confirmed shipping address and phone number, and email address. This information is used to confirm payment and for delivery of products.
- Referrer. We ask how you heard about CensusTools on our product download page. No email address is collected and submission of the information is entirely optional.
- Payments. We use PayPal and WePay to process payments to Menus4Moms. Menus4Moms does
- Newsletter Mailings. Email subscriptions, unsubscriptions, bounces, opens, and clickthroughs for each subscriber are tracked by email address through the newsletter mailing application and are stored in logs and databases on HomeschoolNewsletters.com, the secure domain where the newsletter application is hosted. This data is used to track the performance and deliverability of mailings, for site security, and to assist subscribers with their accounts. Aggregate data may be shared with advertisers, but individual personal data is not shared. We do not sell or rent personal information. Disclosure exceptions are if we are legally required to share the information, when access to the information is needed for technical support, or if CensusTools is sold (all data would transfer to the new owner).
- Comments. Name, email address, optional URL, and comments are collected when visitors choose to submit a comment on CensusTools.com. The name, optional URL, and comment data are published on CensusTools.com but the email address submitted is only used to verify identity and is not published.
- Request for Review Copies. We offer influencers that opportunity to request a review copy of CensusTools. We collect name, email, reach, name and URL of website, traffic statistics, social media pages and statistics, and other information the influencers chooses to submit. This information is used to contact the individual submitting the form, to determine whether to offer review copies of products, and to discuss other possible collaberation with the submitter.
- DMCA Takedown Requests. In cases where you submit a DMCA takedown request, we collect your name, address, electronic signature, the infringing materials and the URL where they are located on our site, proof that you hold intellectual property rights to the material, a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that there is no legal basis for the use of the content, and a statement of the accuracy of the notice and, under penalty of perjury, that you are either the owner of the intellectual property rights or are authorized to act on the behalf of the owner.
- DMCA Takedown Request Counter-Notices. In cases of a DMCA takedown request counter-notice, we collect the visitor’s name, address, phone number, physical or electronic signature, identification of the material and its location before removal, a statement under penalty of perjury that the material was removed by mistake or misidentification, and subscriber consent to local federal court jurisdiction, or if overseas, to an appropriate judicial body.
- Contact Form. Should individuals choose to contact us through our contact form, we collect name, email, subject, and message. This information is used to respond to the message.
- IP Addresses for All Visitors. IP addresses, along with the time, date, and files accessed, are collected for all visitors. When any personal data is submitted, IP addresses and associated data are paired with the personal data. This information allows us to keep our site secure and block access to those who attempt unauthorized access.
- Children. We do not solicit or knowingly collect data from children under 16 years of age.
- Website Analytics. CensusTools.com uses Google Analytics tracking to understand the demographics and behavior of our visitors. The data shared with us by Google Analytics does not include personal data, but Google Analytics may possess personal data about our visitors. This site uses the following Google Analytics features: Google Display Network Impression Reporting, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. If you choose, you may use the Ads Settings to opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads. We use data from Google’s Interest-based advertising or 3rd-party audience data (such as age, gender, and interests) with Google Analytics to help us to provide content and advertising most useful to our visitors. We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to report how our ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our site.
- Cookies. We use first-party cookies on our websites to assist with analytics and to improve our websites. Our adveritising and affiliate partners may use links that set third-party cookies on our visitors’ computers in order to track referring websites. We do not link non-personal information stored in cookies with personal data about specific individuals. Through these cookies, we allow third-party companies to collect certain anonymous information when you visit our website. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information during your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or a third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice, you can visit www.networkadvertising.org.
- Administration, Hosting, and Backups. Internal data collected by CensusTools.com is stored on our dedicated server and is accessed through secure connections. We keep local, server, and cloud backups to prevent critical data loss. Data collected from visitors is included in these stored backups. Backups are kept for one year after the date of the backup, and are stored locally on our dedicated server and remotely on secure cloud servers. Should a user request deletion of their data from our system, it would still exist in zipped backup files retained for the period mentioned. Should a backup have to be restored, the data of any user who has requested to have their date deleted would be manually removed following the restoration of the backup.
- Data Retention. We retain data submitted through forms and email indefinitely unless requested to delete it. As noted in Administration, Hosting, and Backups (number 14 above), we retain backups for one year.
- New Uses of Data. We will not use your data for new purposes unless you opt-in for this new purpose.
How We Protect Your Data
We have implemented security policies and technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control from unauthorized access, improper use or disclosure, and unauthorized modification:
- Our Sites. CensusTools uses an Organizational Validation (OV) SSL certificate to encrypt the data on CensusTools.com.
- Hosting. The Liquid Web hosting environment uses cPanel and Web Host Manager dashboards which use encryption for secure connections.
- Cloud Storage. Our cloud storage is provided by leaders in the field which use encryption and secure hosting environments as per their terms of service.
- Local Storage. Data stored on local computers is encrypted.
- Software and Application Updates. We regularly monitor and update our software, applications, themes, and plugins, and we deploy security updates as soon as possible after their release to prevent exploitation of published vulnerabilities.
- Technical Support. If access to data is required by third parties providing technical support, we limit the access provided to the least amount required for the shortest amount of time required. We revoke access when the work is complete.
- Legal Disclosure. We will not disclose your personal data to governmental institutions and authorities except if required by law or other regulation.
- Advertisers’ Privacy Policies. Our advertisers have their own privacy policies which apply to their ads displayed on our site. Our affiliates, partners, advertisers, and other associated websites track visitors through cookies, web beacons, or other means.
How You Can Request a Copy of Your Data
To request a copy of your data, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you find errors in your data that you would like to correct, you may email us at email@example.com and we will correct the data if possible.
How You Can Request Deletion of Your Data
To request that we delete your data, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org